Why should I get my grease extraction system cleaned?
If you run a commercial kitchen, you know how important it is to keep your equipment clean and free of grease build-up. Not only is it important for maintaining a clean and healthy workspace, but it can also help extend the life of your equipment and prevent costly repairs. One of the most important tasks in keeping your kitchen clean is grease extraction cleaning.
Grease extraction cleaning is the process of removing built-up grease and other contaminants from the ductwork of your commercial kitchen's exhaust system. This system is responsible for removing smoke, heat, and other byproducts of cooking from your kitchen, and it's essential for maintaining a comfortable and safe working environment.
The importance of grease extraction cleaning
The build-up of grease in your exhaust system is not just unsightly; it's also a fire hazard. Grease is highly flammable and can ignite with even a small spark, leading to a devastating fire. In fact, according to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly 30% of restaurant fires are caused by grease buildup in the exhaust system!
In addition to the fire risk, grease buildup can also lead to reduced airflow in your exhaust system. This can cause your equipment to work harder to remove smoke and other by-products of cooking, which can lead to higher energy bills and more wear and tear on your equipment.
The benefits of grease extraction cleaning
Regular grease extraction cleaning can provide a number of benefits for your commercial kitchen. Here are just a few:
- Reduced fire risk: As mentioned earlier, grease build-up is a major fire hazard. Regular cleaning can reduce the risk of a devastating fire in your kitchen.
- Improved air quality: Grease buildup in your exhaust system can lead to poor air quality in your kitchen, which can be harmful to your employees' health. Regular cleaning can improve the air quality in your kitchen and create a healthier work environment.
- Increased equipment lifespan: Grease build-up can cause your equipment to work harder, leading to more wear and tear and a shorter lifespan. Regular cleaning can help extend the life of your equipment and save you money on repairs and replacements.
- Compliance with regulations: Many regulations require regular grease extraction cleaning to ensure the safety of your kitchen and compliance with health and safety regulations.
The grease extraction cleaning process
Grease extraction cleaning involves a thorough cleaning of your kitchen's exhaust system, including the hood, ductwork, and fan. The process can be broken down into a few key steps:
- Preparation: The first step in the grease extraction cleaning process is to prepare your kitchen for cleaning. This may involve covering your equipment, shutting down your cooking appliances, and sealing off any areas that could be affected by the cleaning process.
- Inspection: Next, the cleaning technician will inspect your exhaust system to determine the extent of the grease buildup and any other issues that may need to be addressed.
- Cleaning: Once the technician has determined the best approach, they will begin the cleaning process. This typically involves using specialized equipment and cleaning solutions to remove the grease buildup from the hood, ductwork, and fan.
- Inspection and testing: After the cleaning is complete, the technician will inspect the exhaust system again to ensure that all the grease buildup has been removed. They will also test the airflow to ensure that it is operating at the appropriate level.
- Reporting: Finally, the technician will provide a report outlining the work that was performed, any issues that were discovered, and any recommendations for ongoing maintenance.
How often should you clean your exhaust system?
The frequency of grease extraction cleaning will depend on a number of factors, including the volume of cooking that takes place in your kitchen, the type of cooking that is done, and the size of your exhaust system. As a general rule, most kitchens should have their exhaust system cleaned at least once every six months.
For more information on grease extraction cleaning, fill out a contact form on the contact page of the website!